As one of the friendliest of the Gulf states, Oman is a popular destination for people from the UAE to move to. Whether you’re moving for work, to be closer to family or for studies, Oman offers huge financial benefits to its residents in terms of the basic cost of living. For example, according to Numbeo, a site that tracks the cost of living index for cities around the world, the cost of living in Muscat, Oman is nearly 24% cheaper than in Dubai, United Arab Emirates. When compared to other popular destination in the UAE such as Dubai, other cost of living benefits include:
- Consumer prices in Muscat are 23.55% lower
- Consumer prices Including rent in Muscat are 39.50% lower
- Rent prices in Muscat are 62.84% lower
- Restaurant prices in Muscat are 32.92% lower
- Groceries prices in Muscat are 7.93% lower
- Local purchasing power in Muscat is 6.83% higher
But how much does it cost to actually make the move from the UAE to Oman? Let’s take a look at all the costs and considerations involved with moving and how to choose the best moving company to make your relocation cheaper and less stressful.
Approximate costs of shipping a 2-bedroom apartment to Oman from the UAE
There are four important things that you need to consider when moving from the UAE to Oman:
- Distance: The further the destination, the more expensive it will be. Oman is about 485 kilometers/300 miles from the UAE.
- Container size: The bigger your home is, the bigger the container (and cost) will be. You are likely to be offered a 20 ft or 40 ft shipping container depending on the size of your load.
- Shipping method: There are three methods of delivery for moving from the UAE to Oman: shipping by sea or road which is usually the cheapest way, or the costlier options of shipping by air.
- Type of relocation service: Choosing a door-to-door service with packing and unpacking help is ideal. Although it may be a bit more expensive, it is well worth it!
The most comprehensive cost estimates of moving the contents of a 2-bedroom apartment to Oman from the UAE by sea can cost between AED 8,000 to AED 12,000*. A few points to consider with regards to the cost estimate include:
- The more expensive options will include door-to-door shipping and some companies may also include packing and unpacking services too.
- The price will increase if you need a bigger container, although 20 ft containers are more commonly used and provide enough space for a 2-3 bedroom apartment.
- You may also want to consider adding insurance to protect your valuable items, which will also add to your final costs, but accidents happen and it’s wise not to take the risk without it.
- Although port-to-port relocation services are more affordable than door-to-door services, choosing door-to-door means you won’t have to worry about all the packing and handling paperwork when going through customs - a mission best left to international movers!
- Custom charges that are usually part of the quotation include UAE port and terminal handling charges, destination terminal handling charges and normal customs clearance at destination. However, custom taxes or duties, customs examination and detention charges are typically not included, so be sure to check these details with your moving company so you don’t end up paying for things you weren’t expecting to.
Tips for choosing a company to move to Oman from UAE
The most important consideration when choosing a moving company should not be the cost. We have all heard moving horror stories from people who thought they would save money by using a cheap moving company, and then ended up paying much, much more in damages and replacements. Remember, there is a reason those companies are cheap: because they don’t offer quality services.
Spending slightly more on a FIDI-FAIM certified moving company that has a good reputation, a long service history and one that offers comprehensive moving solutions will almost certainly save you money and a whole lot of angst at the end of the day.
Tips for moving to Oman
One of the benefits of using a FIDI-certified moving company is that they will provide you with valuable customs and visa/residence permit guidance, as well as pet and car relocation options and prohibitions advice for moving to Oman.
If you choose GAC International Moving, we will appoint one of our specialist move coordinators to assist you with the process and all of the steps involved in relocating to Oman.
Contact us for a free quotation
At GAC, we offer our excellent end-to-end services and expert advice so that you are guaranteed peace of mind throughout your relocation journey. We are qualified to professionally assist you with your move. Our professional team of experts and tailor-made solutions ensure that we will support you throughout your transition.
Contact us now to get started with your move to or from Oman.
*Prices are accurate at the time of publishing.